Twitter is laying off employees in India, laying off the marketing and communications departments, according to a recent report.
Twitter termination: firing 100 people isn’t a pleasant way to end the week for Twitter employees, as layoffs affect many. On Friday, Twitter terminated hundreds of employees globally. The process of laying people off has already started, as many Twitter India employees have been receiving emails. A report by NDTV says that the entire marketing and communications department of Twitter India was laid off, according to a report by NDTV.
One Twitter India employee I spoke to today told me, The layoff has begun. Their colleagues have received an email notification about this. We don’t have any official statement from Twitter India, but another source says that the layoffs have affected a “significant portion” of their Indian team, according to PTI.
According to the NDTV article, some employees from the engineering and sales departments were “affected” by the layoffs, but those in sales and engineering remained.
In a bid to save money and achieve economies of scale, Elon Musk has asked his Twitter followers for input on possible layoffs.
TWITTER LAYOFFS: KEY DEVELOPMENTS
- The world’s richest businessman, Elon Musk, began his Twitter innings last week by firing CEO Parag Agrawal, as well as the CFO and a few other top executives.
- Then there was a top-level management departure. Musk has now started making a serious effort to cut down on the workforce as a whole.
- Mass layoff announcement: The US-based social media platform, in an internal email to employees previously, had said: “In an effort to put Twitter on a healthy path, we will go through the difficult process of reducing our global workforce on Friday.”
- His job on Twitter: “Everyone will get a unique email with the subject line: Your Twitter Feature at 9 am PST on Friday, November 4. The letter requests that you check your email, especially your spam folder. You will be informed through your Twitter email if your job is unaffected. The statement said that if your job is impacted, you would be notified and given further instructions by personal email.
- The company temporarily close all offices for employee safety as well as Twitter systems and customer data.
- Elon Musk sued: A class action lawsuit was filed Thursday in federal court in San Francisco, according to Bloomberg.
- An internal memo reportedly said that Musk will alert employees at 9 a.m. Pacific time (12 pm EDT/1600 GMT), whether they have been laid off or not.
Twitter has had a string of run-ins with the government over its ideals of free speech. In a recent email, the company told their employees not to post any sensitive information about the company on social media, with the press, or in any other form of communication.