New Delhi: Hurun India, together with EdelGive, today launched the EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2022. With an annual donation of INR 1,161 crore, HCL Technologies Founder and Chairman Emeritus Shiv Nadar, 77, reclaimed the title of ‘ India’s Most Generous’ title. Wipro’s Azim Premji has slipped to the second position with an annual donation of Rs 484 crore.Also Read: HCL Tech Pips Wipro To Be India’s 3rd Largest IT Firm
HERE IS THE LIST OF TOP 10 PEOPLE IN EDELGIVE-HURUN INDIA PHILANTHROPY LIST 2022
|Range||Name||Donation (INR Cr)||Change %||primary cause||Company||3-year donation (INR Cr)|
|1 (+1)||Shiv Nadar and family||1,161||-8%||Education||HCL Technologies||3,219|
|2(-1)||Azim Premji and family||484||-95%||Education||Wipro||18,101|
|3(-)||Mukesh Ambani and family||411||-29%||Education||trusted industries||1,446|
|4(-)||Kumar Mangalam Birla and family||242||-36%||Health care||Aditya Birla||875|
|5*||Susmita and Subroto Bagchi||213||New||Health care||mind tree||N/A|
|5*||Radha and NS Parthasarathy||213||New||Health care||mind tree||N/A|
|7 (+1)||Gautama Adani and family||190||46%||disaster relief||Adani||408|
|8 (+1)||Anil Agarwal and family||165||27%||disaster relief||vedanta||510|
|9(-4)||Nandan Nilekani||159||-13%||social thought||infosys||501|
|10 (+1)||I’m Naik||142||27%||Health care||Larsen and Toubro||330|
Source: Hurun Research Institute; EdelGive Hurun India Philanthropy List 2022 Also Read – Independence Day 2022: Top Entrepreneurs Who Played a Critical Role in Shaping the Indian Economy
KEY POINTS OF EDELGIVE-HURUN INDIA PHILANTHROPY LIST 2022
- Azim Premji is the only living Indian to appear in EdelGive Hurun Philanthropists of the Century.
- With a donation of INR 190 crore, India’s richest man Gautam Adani, 60, was ranked 7th in the EdelGive Hurun India 2022 philanthropic list.
- Hurun’s research finds 15 people in India, who made an annual donation of more than INR 100 crore, 20 more than 50 crore and 43 more than 20 crore.
- AM Naik, 80, Group Chairman of Larsen & Toubro, who donated INR 142 crore is the most generous professional manager in India.
- Nithin Kamath and Kikhil Kamath from Zerodha increased their donation by 300% to INR 100 crore.
- With donations of INR 213 crore each, MindTree co-founders Subroto Bagchi and NS Parthasarathy broke into the top 10 of the EdelGive Hurun India 2022 philanthropic list.
- Ajit Isaac, Chairman of Quess Corp, debuts and is ranked 12th in the Edelgive Hurun India 2022 Philanthropy List with a donation of INR 105 crore to the Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc) Bengaluru.
- Rakesh Gangwal, co-promoter of IndiGo airlines, debuts on the EdelGive Hurun India 2022 philanthropy list with a personal donation of INR 100 crore to the School of Medical Sciences and Technology at IIT, Kanpur.
- Bring it back like Infosyians! – Nandan Nilekani, Kris Gopalakrishnan and SD Shibulal donated INR 159 crore, INR 90 crore and INR 35 crore, ranking 9th, 16th and 28th respectively.
- Nikhil Kamath, 36, is the youngest philanthropist on the EdelGive Hurun India 2022 Philanthropy List.
- 19 new additions to the list; Total donations for new additions at INR 832 crore.
- 6 female philanthropists are on the list.
- With a donation of INR 120 crore, Rohini Nilekani, 63, is the most generous female philanthropist on the list; followed by Leena Gandhi Tewari and Anu Aga who donated INR 21 crore and INR 20 crore respectively.
- With a donation of INR 24 crore, the philanthropic couple, Amit Chandra (53) and Archana Chandra (51), are the only other professional managers on the list.
- The number of philanthropists who have donated more than INR 10 crore increased by around 116% in the last 4 years, from 37 to 80 this year.
- Boosted by the pandemic, donations for Covid relief increased 44 times to INR 473 crore
- With 75 philanthropists cumulatively donating INR 1,233 crore, education is the most favored cause.
- 51 self-made philanthropists.
- The median age of the philanthropists on the list is 69, up 2 years from last year.
- Based on place of residence, Mumbai led with 33% of the list; followed by New Delhi, with 16%, and Bangalore with 13%.
- The pharmaceutical industry has the most philanthropists on the list, at 20%, followed by chemicals and petrochemicals at 11%.
- The Hurun Report, the world’s largest rich list compiler, and the EdelGive Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the Edelweiss group, published the EdelGive Hurun philanthropic list for the ninth consecutive year.
Also Read – Hurun’s Richest Women List: Meet Kanika Tekriwal, The Youngest Self-made Businesswoman And Owns 10 Private Jets | full list