Maybe never or ever you would have heard about this type of farming that we are going to talk about today. Farming is known as layer poultry farming. We are going to give you a brief on how to do layer poultry farming in India easily. There are some poultry farming basics you should clear out.
What is layer poultry farming?
Layer poultry farming is farming where the cocks or hen lays eggs and those eggs produced are sold. These animals (cock and hen) get mature within 18-19 weeks and then they are ready to lay eggs. They continue laying eggs until the age of 72-78 weeks. The benefit of layer poultry farming is that by just consuming 2.25kg of food they can lay around 1kg of eggs. This is one of the most beneficial farming in India.
Breeds to start farming
- White egg layer breeds: The features of this kind of hen are that they are smaller in size, they eat less and their eggshell color is white. Some of the popular names for white egg layer breed are Isa White, Lehman White, Nikchik, Bab Cock BV-300, Havard White, Hi Sex White, Sever White, Hi-line White, Bovanch White, etc.
- Brown egg-laying hens breed: This breed is comparatively bigger in size than the white egg layer breeds. They also consume food a lot and the sizes of the eggs are also relatively bigger. This breed is known as brown egg-laying hens because the color of their eggs is brown.
While choosing the breed you must be sure regarding which breed you want to choose because the breed will depend upon the type of layer farming you are into. You have to take care of the following-
- The highest productivity is to be seen in the case of laying eggs, so as to get good production out of it.
- Depending on the type the hens will lay eggs. All kinds of hens do not lay the same amount of eggs.
- If the hens have a tendency and the quality of laying the number of eggs as desirable by your business, then you know that it is the best for your business.
- Looking at the hatchery is very imperative before going the buying the hens.
Caring for the chicks:
The chicks usually do not get into the habit of drinking enough water after all the transportation that happens. So it is mandatory that you get them into the habit of drinking and add at least 5% glucose in their water to keep them hydrated.
- When you vaccinate the chicks on a regular basis it gives resistance
- To keep the chicks free from infection
- The mortality rate will decrease.
- No infection will be needed.
- More production due to more mortality.
Basic steps to be considered
While you are up to these steps mentioned earlier, you should also be careful regarding setting up a poultry farm –
- Be sure about the site and building
- A prepared plan for rearing
- Pieces of equipment and day-to-day marketing
- A very serious point is the preparation of the house before every batch
So basically, these are the points you should be looking into while going for this profitable business. Take care of each and every point and you are good to go.